What is SlimPort?
SlimPort is a mobile device feature that allows you to connect your cellphone, tablet or notebook PC to any display using a SlimPort VGA or HDMI adapter. SlimPort provides up to 4K Ultra-HD high-resolution content playback on any HDTV, monitor or projector for an unrivalled experience that’s perfect for movies, sports, video games and work – unlocking the full power of your mobile device.
How did SlimPort get its name?
Mobile devices need to be able to charge, synchronize data and drive external displays if and when connected. SlimPort gets its name from the fact that it requires just a single connector port, and the fewest number of connector pins. Its 5-pin connector lets it carry very high-speed (up to 6.75 Gbps) signals in a bidirectional way between your device and display while also delivering power in a bidirectional manner when required. A generic 5-pin Micro USB connector provides the connection to your mobile device, allowing it to charge, display and synch data through the SlimPort feature.
How does SlimPort work?
Mobile devices must be SlimPort enabled to work with SlimPort accessories. In other words, they need to have a transmitter IC device embedded. The embedded SlimPort IC coexists with the system’s USB function and shares the same Micro USB connector. When SlimPort isn’t in use, the USB port supports normal data synchronization and power charging functions. When a SlimPort accessory is connected, however, the USB port also supports external display connectivity, with resolutions up to 4K Ultra-HD, including 3D display. Optionally, a travel charger can be plugged into the SlimPort accessory so that your mobile device is ready to go at any time.
Will SlimPort work with any mobile device?
No. The mobile devices need to be SlimPort feature enabled. For a complete list of current SlimPort-enabled mobile devices see the supported devices page on the SlimPort Supported Devices Webpage. website. This page is updated periodically when new SlimPort-enabled devices are launched.
What is the benefit of using SlimPort?
SlimPort allows consumers to carry the equivalent of a game console, TV set-top box, Blu-ray player, personal computer and many more items, all in their pocket. With a SlimPort-enabled mobile device and SlimPort accessory, you can enjoy video games or movies, work on office files and applications, play music or immerse yourself in a world of big-screen multimedia at the highest available resolutions. SlimPort also lowers mobile device costs by eliminating the need for multiple connectors.
Which products offer the SlimPort feature?
Do SlimPort Accessories require a travel charger to operate?
No. An external power supply and charging are completely optional. If your mobile device’s battery charge is not sufficient for your desired use, you have the option of recharging during playback, without any display interruption.
Will SlimPort accessories drain my battery?
Mobile devices’ playback time depends on their battery capacity and charge. Analogix has pioneered ultra-low power designs on its ICs and accessories alike, so that SlimPort-enabled mobile devices consume very little additional battery power. SlimPort accessories also draw very little power from the mobile device during playback. Hence, the SlimPort feature does not significantly compromise mobile devices’ playback time. As an example, the full-HD (1080p60) SlimPort-to-HDMI accessory draws almost zero power from the mobile device due to CoolHD technology, an innovative power-harvesting and recycling technology developed by Analogix. Likewise, the SlimPort-to-VGA or HDMI-4K and DisplayPort connectivity accessories also draw very little power from the mobile device while driving an external display.
How does a SlimPort accessory operate with or without a connected travel charger cable?
SlimPort accessory power delivery is bidirectional. When the SlimPort accessory is plugged into the mobile device and connected to a display, the SlimPort accessory draws power from the mobile device. However, when a travel charger is connected to the SlimPort accessory, the power delivery is reversed, i.e. the travel charger powers the SlimPort accessory and also provides charging power to the mobile device.
How fast can my mobile device charge if the travel charger is connected through the SlimPort accessory?
SlimPort accessories support two modes of charging – regular charging and fast charging – depending on the connected travel charger and the mobile device. With a fast charger, a device can fully charge in minutes. Please check with your mobile device’s manufacturer for charging support specifications.
Can I charge the mobile device while using a SlimPort accessory?
Yes. SlimPort accessories have a Micro USB charging port built in. When a travel charger is plugged into the SlimPort accessory, you can charge your mobile device while it is driving a display.
Can I transfer mobile data while using SlimPort for display?
Yes. SlimPort-enabled devices retain mobile data synchronization capability while using their high-definition audio-video transfer capabilities. Currently, SlimPort devices support any of the three functions – charging, data transfer or up to 4K Ultra-HD audio-video transfer to any display.
Do I need to replace my display equipment to remain compatible?
No. SlimPort remains relevant to yesterday, today and tomorrow. This means you can connect any SlimPort-enabled mobile device to any monitor, projector or HDTV through SlimPort accessories. However, if you want to take advantage of SlimPort’s 4K Ultra-HD capabilities, you’ll need a 4K Ultra-HD display.
Does a SlimPort adapter require a new or special connector?
No. Although SlimPort technology is connector agnostic, our SlimPort accessories use the ubiquitous Micro USB connector to achieve the basic mobile connectivity functions – charge, display and data sync.
Does SlimPort support both audio and video?
Yes, SlimPort supports both audio and video, including 3D-HD. For audio, it supports up to 8-channels of audio including Dolby Digital and DTS-HD. For video, it supports up to 4K Ultra-HD resolution over DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI or VGA connectors.
Can I plug in a mouse, keyboard or external drive?
Analogix is upgrading its SlimPort products to support wired keyboard, mouse or external drive connectivity. Please watch the slimportconnect.com website for new product announcements.
What type of display equipment can be connected to a SlimPort enabled mobile device?
SlimPort-enabled mobile devices can connect to any monitor, projector, HDTV or other display equipment with a VGA, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connector port.
Does my SlimPort enabled mobile device require a SlimPort enabled TV, monitor or projector?
No. SlimPort-enabled mobile devices can connect to existing connectors on any display device (whether it has audio or not) through simple plug-and-play SlimPort accessories.
What display resolutions does SlimPort support?
SlimPort supports display resolutions up to 4K Ultra-HD. This includes Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA®) digital monitor standards up to 4160 x 2160, Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)-861 display standards up to 3980 x 2160, and everything below.
Do SlimPort products require active or passive cables to connect to a display?
SlimPort, which is built on the DisplayPort standard, currently requires active converter solutions – which actively convert digital signals to analog – to connect to all displays. In the future, however, we expect to be able to connect to DisplayPort monitors passively.
Can SlimPort mobile devices work with TV remote controllers when connected to a HDTV?
SlimPort allows mobile devices to act as TV remote controllers, but only if that feature has been implemented by the device maker. Please check with your device’s manufacturer to see whether it supports remote-control operation.
What audio-video inputs are supported by the SlimPort transmitters used in handheld devices?
The SlimPort transmitter products embedded inside mobile devices can work with MIPI-DSI, RGB or HDMI inputs from mobile application processors. In the future, Analogix plans to support DisplayPort as an additional input choice. In essence, SlimPort can take any audio and video input from an application processor, combine it with USB and send it over a mobile Micro USB connector.
Are SlimPort accessories operating-system dependent?
SlimPort accessories are operating-system agnostic. Currently, there are SlimPort-enabled mobile devices available in the market that use Microsoft Windows, Google Android and Google Chrome operating systems. All these plug-and-play devices work seamlessly with any SlimPort accessory.
Which cable should I connect from my SlimPort adapter to the display?
SlimPort accessories are display specific, i.e. a different cable and adaptor is required for VGA, DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort connectivity. Each kind of display requires the appropriate cable, which should be 10 meters or less in length. In the case of DVI displays, a passive HDMI-to-DVI (male-to-male) adapter will suffice to connect the display.
How does SlimPort compare with wireless display connectivity solutions?
Wired connections offer many advantages over wireless alternatives, including:
- Content transmitted over a wired connection is more secure and less likely to be intercepted and seen by unauthorized viewers.
- With wireless displays, there is always an element of security risk with both enterprise and home usage models.
- Wired connections typically transfer data faster, providing better audio and video performance. Currently, SlimPort can achieve a maximum throughput of 6.75 Gbps, which is expected to scale to higher speeds soon. Uncompressed 4K Ultra-HD content requires about 6.0 Gbps of bandwidth, while simultaneous audio, video and USB 2.0 data (at 480 Mbps) requires around 6.75 Gbps. Thus, wired displays can receive uncompressed audio-video at a higher sustained throughput.
- Current wireless display connectivity solutions, on the other hand, provide only a few hundred megabits of total bandwidth. After subtracting the overhead data-transmission requirements, the actual bandwidth available for audio-video display and data sync drops to only a few tens of megabits. The limited bandwidth available necessitates data compression to deliver HD content over wireless connectivity solutions.
- Audio-Video data:
- Wired display connections do not require compression, due to their higher throughput capacity. Virtually no latency is introduced while processing and rendering the display content. As a result, no display artifacts are visible to diminish consumers’ viewing experience.
- Wireless display solutions, due to their lack of bandwidth, need to compress the audio and video data before transmitting it. This compression on the source side and decompression on the display side introduces latency, or lag time, which can compromise consumers’ viewing experience.
- Processing cycle usage:
- When wired display connections are used to carry the processed display data, no additional processor cycles are required to render the display.
- Wireless display interfaces need to post-process the display data. Upon delivery, the data needs to be further processed to render the display. Thus, wireless display content delivery requires extra processing cycles, which introduces latency and display artifacts.
- Power Consumption:
- Wired displays consume far less power than wireless displays, since no extra processing is required to deliver and render the display data.
- Wired displays are very easy to use – just plug in your SlimPort device and play.
- Wireless displays require users to pair two devices with each other within a line of sight to establish a connection. The pairing process introduces complexity to consumer users.
- Charge during display:
- Newer wired display connectivity standards allow users the option of charging their mobile devices while displaying content, but do not require it.
- Wireless displays require users to connect to an external charger during display due to their higher battery drain. This, however, defeats the purpose of wireless connectivity.
- Display equipment:
- Billions of displays are already available that can be connected to users’ mobile devices through simple, wired SlimPort accessories.
- Very few current displays are equipped to connect wirelessly. In most cases, a dongle is required to retrofit each piece of legacy display equipment.
Which standards do SlimPort products comply with?
SlimPort products are fully compliant with the DisplayPort and USB standards. Also, while operating over a Micro USB connector or other 5-pin connector, they are fully compatible with the VESA-proposed MyDP standard.
What is MyDP™?
MyDP™ is the Mobility DisplayPort® standard proposed by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA®). It is a digital audio-video interconnect technology for mobile audio-video source devices based on the DisplayPort® standard Please see the www.vesa.org for details.
How are SlimPort products tested and certified to interoperate with multiple displays?
SlimPort certified products are rigorously tested in Analogix’s EasyHD™ labs around the world. Our IC devices are tested at several external testing labs and through various industry (CEA and VESA) plug-tests to ensure their interoperability. Also, SlimPort-certified products are tested and certified at DisplayPort Authorized Test Centers to pass all relevant compliance tests.
Where can I find SlimPort accessories to work with my SlimPort enabled mobile device?
SlimPort accessories are available through electronics retailers such as www.amazon.com and www.pcconnection.com To ensure the highest product quality and interoperability, we recommend that you buy only SlimPort-certified accessories from our worldwide certified partners network. A list of certified partners and distributors can be found on our SlimPort Accessories Webpage.
Where are SlimPort Accessories available? How can I buy from my country?
SlimPort accessories are available worldwide. To locate suppliers in your specific region, please go to the accessories page at www.SlimPortConnect.com, and select the country in which you reside from the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner.
Support ContactDon’t see your answer here? Have something to share? Feel free to get in touch with us!